Heiβer Bischof, mulled white wine
My husband describes this as "winter Sangria." The longer the wine steeps, the spicier (and less citrusy) the final drink will be.
- 1 orange, rinsed in hot water
- 750 ml spicy white wine, like a Gewürtztraminer (1 bottle)
- 2 Tbs honey or turbinado sugar
- 40 ml (3 Tbs) Cointreau or Limoncello
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 - 4 pods cardamom, lightly crushed
- 1 small piece ginger
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
Slice the orange. Place fennel seeds, cardamom pods and ginger in a tea ball if you have one. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepot. Cover and heat over low until steaming, but not simmering. Serve in heat-proof cups. Keep covered and reduce heat to warm. For larger batches, increase the sugar but not the amount of spices.